In a previous blog entry (One DVD per second) we described how we build a new fast SSD based Database server and how we benchmarked it.
This week we put the new SSD DB server to the ultimate test, namely “Going Live”.
It turned out that our investments definitely payed off. Our main online application M4N has seen a massive speed improvement. We found an average performance increase of ~6 times for all queries. As a result, the initial average performance increase for the whole application is approximately a factor 2. Keep in mind that the whole application depends on more than just the main DB. Of course, the performance of the Java Application Server and the network bandwidth play important roles as well.
The performance increase is most apparent when simply browsing through the different pages of the application. The application feels very snappy and even the more complex pages load nearly instantly. We have statistics on our average page speeds so I included this in the pictures.
Picture one the improvements with testing:
Picture two the improvements with speed on execution of queries:
Finally, during the night we execute a slew of maintenance queries. Normally, we see a number like this after the script that triggers these queries has finished executing:
The other morning however we saw this:
This amounts to a performance increase of over 11 times.
For now we thus carefully conclude that using SSDs indeed improves performance by a large margin.